HPE SAS SSD REMEDIATION GUIDE
HPE SAS SSD REMEDIATION GUIDE
In November 2019, HPE was notified by a supplier of solid-state drives of a firmware defect that affects certain SAS SSD models used in a number of HPE server and storage products. The issue identified affects specific HPE SAS SSDs with an HPE firmware version prior to HPD8.
HPE encourages customers to use the resources below to ease the process of identifying affected SAS SSDs in their environment and efficiently updating the SSD firmware to prevent the drive failure. Please take advantage of tools such as HPE iLO Amplifier Pack, HPE InfoSight for Servers, HPE Service Pack for ProLiant and Smart Update Manager to effectively manage this issue across a data center environment.
+ show more
What is the HPE SAS SSD Issue?
The issue identified impacts specific HPE SAS SSDs with an HPE firmware version prior to HPD8 that results in SSD failure at 32,768 hours of operation (i.e., 3 years, 270 days, 8 hours). After the SSD failure occurs, neither the affected SSD nor the data can be recovered. In addition, SSDs which were put into service at the same time will likely fail nearly simultaneously because the total hours of operation will be similar.
HPE and the supplier worked quickly to provide the drive firmware HPD8 update to prevent the issue described above. As of December 9, 2019, HPE released the firmware HPD8 update for all affected SAS SSD models.
Important—Any drive failure due to this issue for HPE SAS SSDs that are out of warranty or do not have contract coverage will be covered at no cost to the customer.
Which HPE products are impacted by this drive issue?
The comprehensive list of HPE server and storage platforms and SAS SSD models impacted by this drive issue is provided in the SSD Remediation Platform Matrix.
Download the SSD Remediation Platform Matrix
Please note that the following HPE platforms are NOT affected by this issue: HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage, D8000 Disk Enclosure, Nimble Storage, HPE Primera Storage, StoreOnce Systems, XP Storage, StoreEasy 5000 Storage, SimpliVity, Cloudline, Moonshot, and Edgeline.
How do I know if I have affected HPE SAS SSDs?
HPE encourages customers to take advantage of the HPE tools below to ease the process of identifying affected SAS SSDs and effectively managing the drive issue across their data center environment:
- HPE iLO Amplifier Pack — Provides a report with SSD model numbers and firmware versions for manual checking. Connect HPE iLO Amplifier Pack with HPE InfoSight for Servers to view, manage, and troubleshoot server problems.
- HPE InfoSight for Servers — Pushes a warning message (called a Wellness Alert) to customers with affected drives, providing pointers to the Customer Bulletin and firmware downloads.
- HPE SSD Issue Detection Script — Performs an SSD drive firmware check for the 32,768 power-on-hours failure issue on certain HPE SAS SSD drives are available for Linux, VMware, and Windows. Reference the README.txt file contained within the .zip file for instructions.
- HPE Smart Storage Administrator (SSA) — May be used to determine SAS SSD power-on-hours.
How do I resolve (fix) the HPE SAS SSD issue?
HPE has released firmware HPD8 for all affected SAS SSD models and strongly recommends immediate application of this critical fix. Neglecting to update to SSD firmware version HPD8 will result in drive failure and data loss at 32,768 hours of operation. Access to the firmware update along with complete instructions on how to manage the affected drives, are provided below:
- Firmware Update Links for HPE ProLiant, Synergy and Apollo platforms
- Firmware Update Links for HPE MSA Storage platforms
- Firmware Update Links for HPE StoreVirtual 3200 and StoreVirtual 4335 Hybrid
- Firmware Update Links for HPE ConvergedSystems for SAP HANA
HPE Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) and Smart Update Manager (SUM) are available to install the HPD8 drive firmware Smart Components. These tools understand which firmware applies to which drive and will apply the appropriate firmware update to platforms across a datacenter. There are several unique Smart Components that are specific to the drive model and platform operating system, which update the drives to firmware version HPD8. You may also download and install the Smart Component(s) on a single platform, based on the drive model present in the configuration. Reference the Firmware Update Software Analysis and Update Tools for detailed information.
Where can I find more information about the HPE SAS SSD issue?
For detailed platform information regarding this SAS SSD issue, please refer to the following HPE platform Customer Bulletins:
- Customer Bulletin: HPE MSA Storage
- Customer Bulletin: HPE StoreVirtual 3200 and StoreVirtual 4335 Hybrid
- Customer Bulletin: HPE ConvergedSystems for SAP HANA
- Customer Bulletin: HPE ProLiant, Synergy and Apollo platforms
For additional HPE support: