Introducing the Hewlett Packard Enterprise Communications Technology Group
FEBRUARY 24, 2021 • BLOG POST • PHIL MOTTRAM, SVP AND GM, HPE COMMUNICATIONS TECHNOLOGY GROUP
IN THIS ARTICLE
- HPE CTG combines our industry-leading Telco Infrastructure and unique CMS software portfolio
- We’re helping customers to unlock the true value of 5G, accelerate innovation with Open RAN and ignite new revenue at the telco edge
HPE’s newly formed Communications Technology Group has been created to help telcos and enterprises take advantage of the huge 5G market opportunity
Today at our special event “Realize the Full Potential of Open RAN & 5G”, we’re telling the story of how we’re helping customers to unlock the true value of 5G, accelerate innovation with Open RAN (radio access network) and ignite new revenue at the telco edge. We will be joined by an impressive collection of industry leaders who will discuss how an open, cloud-native telco network provides the agility to address the digital transformation needs of the next generation of customers.
The telecoms industry is in the midst of an unprecedented technological transformation. 5G promises to revolutionize the telecoms landscape, but this journey is still in its early stages. The shift from previous generation networks built on proprietary systems to open, cloud-native platforms utilizing commercial off-the-shelf infrastructure along with modular software components from multiple vendors is the biggest challenge facing the industry today.
For this transformation to succeed, telcos need to be able to call upon an ecosystem of trusted partners to reduce the risk of deploying open, multivendor 5G networks. This is why we have established the HPE Communications Technology Group (CTG).
I am proud to lead this new organization that brings together HPE’s unique IP across telco infrastructure, software and services. HPE CTG offers one of the broadest telco portfolios in the market, and has been created to help telcos and enterprises take advantage of the huge 5G market opportunity.
The CTG organization has been formed by combining our industry-leading Telco Infrastructure team and our unique Communications & Media Solutions (CMS) software portfolio. By working more closely together to develop pan-HPE solutions and sales opportunities, HPE is targeting the CTG organization for growth. We are carrying great momentum into this new org, with the CMS business alone generating more than $500m of revenue in FY20 and seeing orders grow by 18% and revenue increase by 6% sequentially in Q4 FY20.
HPE continues a legacy of more than 30 years of experience designing, building and tuning telco-grade infrastructure and software. We serve more than 300 telco customers across 160 countries and a monumental 850 million mobile devices worldwide are connected to HPE software. CTG comprises more than 5000 professionals dedicated to the telecoms market, delivering consultancy, integration, installation and support services.
HPE aims to become the transformation catalyst for the 5G economy. CTG’s founding principle is to drive innovation from edge to cloud through secure, open solutions. We are collaborating with customers and partners to build open 5G solutions that deliver efficiency, reduce risk and complexity, and futureproof the network across the telco core, the radio access network and the telco edge.
Today, I am excited to announce the HPE Open RAN Solution Stack, featuring the new HPE ProLiant DL110 Gen10 Plus server, the industry’s first Open RAN workload optimized server. Designed to enable the commercial deployment of Open RAN at scale in global 5G networks, the HPE Open RAN Solution Stack includes HPE’s telco optimized infrastructure, RAN specific infrastructure blueprints, and orchestration and automation software.
Another solution that is foundational to HPE CTG is the HPE 5G Core Stack that was unveiled in March last year. Today, Orange will appear at our virtual event to talk about its work with HPE to trial a 5G Core.
The HPE CTG portfolio plays an important role in advancing HPE’s edge-to-cloud platform as-a-service strategy and uniquely brings together both enterprise and telco solutions that can bridge from the enterprise edge, across the telco network into multiple clouds:
- Open, cloud-native, flexible solutions built from the ground up with a secure design, so telcos can roll out 5G services faster, integrating them with existing network infrastructure
- Flexible, modular aaS solutions that help future-proof your business using cloud economics, allowing you to scale to stay ahead of demand
- Pre-integrated stacks and blueprints reducing risk, time to test, integrate and deploy new capabilities
- Automation and Operations leadership, HPE named a leader in the 2019 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Operations Support Systems
- Secure, resilient carrier-grade IT infrastructure, leveraging HPE’s scale and experience in enterprise into the telco network
- A platform to ignite new service offerings built to serve enterprise customer needs
- The ability to facilitate trusted ID sharing across devices, networks and services, for improved customer experiences and seamless cellular to Wi-Fi roaming with Aruba Air Pass
- Enterprise connectivity with the Aruba EdgeConnect SD-WAN Edge platform employing physical or virtual appliances, Aruba SD-Branch, managed Wi-Fi and NaaS
- AI/ML based solutions that simplify and automate network operations with AIOps, saving time and resources
- HPE takes an active role in telecom standards organizations, from 3GPP/ETSI, GSMA, TMF to DMTF but also open source projects such as ORAN and LF Networking. HPE is also a member of the newly created Next G Alliance that will focus on 6G
I am confident that with such a solid foundation and common purpose, we will strengthen our thought leadership in the telecoms sector and are set on a path for innovation and growth.
Today is the beginning of an exciting new chapter. Please join the TelecomTV Strategic Outlook: Realize the Full Potential of Open RAN & 5G virtual event, sponsored by HPE and Intel, for live and on-demand sessions, check out the HPE telco portfolio, and join the conversation by following us at @HPE_Telco on Twitter.