Designing an agile organization for a post Covid-19 world
MAY 12, 2020 • BLOG POST • ANTONIO NERI, PRESIDENT & CEO
IN THIS ARTICLE
- In the wake of Covid-19, business continuity will depend on technology that advances IT resiliency, empowers remote workforces, and creates new experiences
- HPE has a very important role to play in this new world, and it’s critical that we accelerate our pivot to becoming the edge-to-cloud platform-as-a-service company
In go-forward Executive Committee, all business groups will report directly to CEO Antonio Neri
Every day, I am struck by how quickly and dramatically our world has changed as we have confronted and adjusted to living through a global pandemic. There has been a tremendous amount of pain and fear born out of living in uncertainty and isolation. And, yet, we also witness daily inspiring acts of kindness and unity. One thing is certain: we will never go back to “what used to be.” We can only build what comes next.
In the new world that is emerging, business continuity will depend on technology that advances IT resiliency, empowers remote workforces, and creates new experiences. Through the power of technology, we can reinvigorate customer engagement and help organizations re-imagine their business models. HPE has a very important role to play in all of this, and it’s critical that we accelerate our pivot to becoming the edge-to-cloud platform-as-a-service company.
I have always believed we can do anything we set our minds to if we have the right team guided by leaders who live our core beliefs and make bold moves to advance our purpose as a company.
We are fortunate to have an incredibly talented leadership team at HPE. And, today, I’m pleased to announce our go-forward Executive Committee that will help us continue to write our next chapter together. Over recent weeks, I have evaluated our organizational structure to determine the model that will best enable our execution and transformation. The time is right for an organization where each one of our business groups, aligned to market trends and our own financial segmentation, directly reports to me.
Business Group Leadership
Our seven HPE business group leaders include:
- Tom Black leads Storage. The storage portfolio includes primary storage, all-flash and hybrid storage, collaborative platforms, big data storage, and hyperconverged infrastructure solutions. We have the most comprehensive intelligent data platform in the industry that provides customers with performance, automation, AI-powered analytics, and simplicity.
- Pradeep Kumar leads our Pointnext Technology Services business group, which includes all of our advisory, professional, and operational services delivered through the HPE Pointnext brand. This team provides the strategy, technology planning, and consultant services that help customers navigate their digital transformations from edge to cloud while optimizing cost and experience.
- Neil MacDonald leads our Compute business. This team will continue to help customers remove complexity, drive speed and agility, and unlock their fullest potential with HPE’s software-defined enterprise servers and solutions. The Compute business portfolio includes innovative solutions for our industry-leading ProLiant Servers (Rack and Tower), Synergy, Blades, OneView, and Cloudline Products.
- Keerti Melkote leads our Intelligent Edge business group. Aruba and its offerings are revolutionizing digital experiences in places where we live, work, and play. Aruba has set the industry standard for a mobile-first, cloud-first world. We declared early on that the edge is the new frontier, and Aruba plays a strategic role in capturing the significant opportunity we see with the emergence of IoT and the distributed world.
- Irv Rothman leads HPE Financial Services, which provides HPE with a critical competitive advantage. The business helps our customers capture value from older assets, achieve sustainability goals and contribute to the circular economy, invest in new technologies as a service, and weather financial volatility.
- Pete Ungaro leads High Performance Computing (HPC) and Mission Critical Solutions (MCS). The HPC & MCS teams provide crucial digital transformation and Artificial Intelligence capabilities to customers who are involved in addressing some of the world’s most complex problems through data intensive workloads. The HPC & MCS portfolio includes Cray, Superdome Flex, Apollo, NonStop, Integrity, Moonshot, and Edgeline.
- Keith White leads our new GreenLake Cloud Services business group, which is the center of our market-leading IT as-a-Service offering, delivered through HPE GreenLake. This team will provide customers with a consistent cloud experience for all of their applications and data wherever they live: at the edge, across public and private clouds, in co-locations, or in the data center consumed through a flexible, pay-as-you-go model.
Labs, Technology Roadmap and Software Leadership
Innovation is at the heart of everything we do. Mark Potter, our Chief Technology Officer who also manages Hewlett Packard Labs, has decided to retire from HPE this summer. I’m incredibly grateful and proud of Mark’s many contributions in his different roles at Compaq, HP and HPE. Given the synergies and incredible collaboration of our labs and the HPC teams that deliver breakthrough innovations, Hewlett Packard Labs will now report to Pete Ungaro. This alignment will enable even greater focus and innovation in areas that are critical to advancing our HPC offerings.
I have created a new dual role that embraces our innovation agenda and the design and development of HPE’s software defined portfolio. Kumar Sreekanti has been appointed Chief Technology Officer and Head of Software. Software plays a foundational strategic role in enabling our edge-to-cloud platform-as-a-service strategy and I am excited to have Kumar drive the innovation agenda and technology roadmap for HPE that integrates the strategy, design and development for the HPE software defined portfolio.
Sales and Operations Leadership
Given the significance of their responsibilities in enabling the success of our strategy and operational execution, Pat Collins who leads Global Operations and Heiko Meyer, Chief Sales Officer, will also directly report to me.
Global Function Leadership
Our five global function leaders drive cross-enterprise experiences, capabilities and services that are critical to our success. These leaders will continue to report to me as part of our Executive Committee: Jim Jackson, Chief Marketing Officer; Alan May, Chief People Officer; Tarek Robbiati, Chief Financial Officer; John Schultz, Chief Legal and Administrative Officer and Head of HPE’s Transformation Office; and Jennifer Temple, Chief Communications Officer.
The leaders on this Executive Committee are among the best I’ve ever had the pleasure to work with. They are truly dedicated to building a bright future at HPE, and I know we will continue to benefit from their individual talents and expertise as well as their collective wisdom and collaboration.
While strong leadership is essential, it’s also the collective power of our team members that advances the way people live and work. I’m proud and grateful for everything HPE team members are doing, especially during this unprecedented time that requires even greater flexibility and determination.