3 Things You Need To Know About Hyper-Converged Technology
JANUARY 19, 2017 • PAUL MILLER • BLOG POST
Why not all hyper-converged solutions are created equally
Long past are the days of duct-taping together data centers to try and serve all your business needs. Convergence is enabling medium and large businesses alike to safely scale their infrastructure at an affordable rate. A couple years ago converged infrastructure bubbled up only to be quickly followed by hyper-converged infrastructure, causing some confusion about its role and benefits. Allow me to address some of the frequently asked questions.
1. First, what exactly is hyper-converged technology?
Hyper-converged technology is an all-in-one datacenter solution that integrates compute, software-defined storage and software-defined intelligence. All of this enables businesses to be able to deploy at cloud speed, simplify unwieldy IT operations and reduce costs, which lets you spend more time innovating and increase your business productivity and flexibility.
Hyper-converged technology centers around four architectural design principles:
- It's intuitive . For example, the interface on HPEs HC380 is so easy that no manuals are required. It was designed by consumer environments so it's ready in minutes after you power it on, you can install it yourself with no costly on-site setup fees and you can deploy VMs in minutes.
- It's affordable . The cost is low to start, scale and protect. You don't need specialists to manage, maintain and integrate because it's already integrated with current management tools.
- It's smart . Tools for analytics are at your fingertips. Not only does it offer lifecycle management with just a few clicks so you can keep your IT updated, it eliminated IT data islands and uses analytics to predict capacity issues to that your resource usage can be 90 percent more efficient.
- It's integrated. It enables your business to move to the hybrid cloud with lifecycle management and data fabric with mobility. You can expand and contract the appliance and perform changes in 15 minutes. You can even manage it anywhere from your mobile device.
2. OK, but how is it different from converged technology?
It sounds more complicated than it really is. Converged infrastructure brings together four critical parts of a data center to be centrally managed: storage, networking, compute and server virtualization (allowing for more than one server to operate on the same piece of hardware). Hyper-converged infrastructure takes it one step further and offers more control through software simplifying Virtualization farm management across compute and storage.
3. So why SimpliVity?
Not all hyper-converged solutions are created equally, as a relatively new technology, vendors cannot deliver all the features customers want at the same time. They must pick and choose where to differentiate. SimpliVity has chosen to focus on delivering the industry's leading enterprise grade storage technology including; Built-in enterprise data protection and resiliency, always-on compression and de-duplication, as well as SimpliVitys Global VM-Centric Management and Mobility.
HPE on the other hand chose to invest in delivering a Mulit-Tenant Cloud experience, offering VM vending and cloud like operations, enabling a generalist to deploy and manage Virtualization environments
The combination of the two offerings will provide the only enterprise grade hyper-converged offering paired with the power of the cloud