Design, deliver, and run enterprise blockchain workloads quickly and easily.
Doing IoT right: 6 essential lessons for business leaders
Machine-to-machine (M2M) and control networks have been in use for decades, but it is only in the last few years that they have morphed into the Internet of Things (IoT). The potential of IoT is compelling, but who has actually transformed the promise into results?
Hewlett Packard Enterprise decided to survey approximately 80 IT professionals to understand how IoT was working for them. We asked about their IoT projects: what went well, what didn’t, and why. We got a wide range of interesting responses with some valuable universal lessons.
This research paper examines the reality of IoT via real-world case studies and examples. It presents real results from real IoT initiatives, sprinkled with advice about how to avoid the pitfalls and maximize the business value and benefits of IoT. While the names of the companies involved have been omitted, we want to thank those who were generous enough to share their experiences. Here are their stories.
Interestingly, more respondents were eager to discuss lessons learned and pitfalls faced than positive experiences. This whitepaper looks first at lessons learned from failed projects, grouped into six categories:
- Lesson #1: Make sure change management is prominent in your IoT planning
- Lesson #2: Align business needs with technology by sharing your plans across the organization
- Lesson #3: Define a sustainable framework by starting small and doing your due diligence
- Lesson #4: Security, privacy, and compliance must be addressed holistically from the outset
- Lesson #5: Verify reliable access to your data sources
- Lesson #6: Deploy a sustainable architecture in which new and old solutions coexist
We also examine the benefits of doing IoT right:
- Benefit #1: Lower CAPEX, higher capacity
- Benefit #2: Be proactive on maintenance and downtime costs
- Benefit #3: Leverage IoT to deliver better customer experiences
- Benefit #4: Optimize asset management
Download this insightful paper to get real results from real IoT initiatives, sprinkled with advice about how to avoid the pitfalls and maximize the business value and benefits of IoT.
While the names of the companies involved have been omitted, we want to thank those who were generous enough to share their experiences. Here are their stories.