Andrews boys stun Trinity in OT

Feb. 20, 2013 @ 10:41 PM

The T.W. Andrews boys kept hanging around until finally they made the key play to win the game.

After Bennie Butler tied the game in the final seconds of regulation, Jahsiah Murphy made a steal and sank a free throw with .6 seconds left in overtime to give the No. 4 Red Raiders a 47-46 win Wednesday in the PAC-6 2A semifinals at Atkins.
“We were prepared to win this one,” Andrews coach Cleaver Rennie said. “The kids are getting tougher. It’s been a tale of two seasons, and they’re finally starting to understand what I expect from them.
“We didn’t expect to start like we did, but since we did, it’s taken a lot of work, a lot of shuffling to get them to understand what they’re good at and for me to understand what they’re good at. Now, it’s coming into form.”
With the score tied 46-all with less than two minutes left in overtime, the Red Raiders (8-15), who have beaten the Bulldogs twice in three meetings this season, had a chance to go ahead but turned the ball over with 45 seconds left.
Trinity (19-4) worked the clock to 11.6 seconds before calling timeout. As the seconds waned, Murphy made the steal for Andrews on the wing and raced to the basket, drawing a foul just before the buzzer. He sank the first of two free throws.
“I saw he leaned over and I said, ‘That’s my chance to get the ball,’” Murphy said. “Coach said to be aggressive in the second half, so I just said, ‘I’m going to go for it.’ I was going to try to dunk it, but I got fouled, which was good.
“I’m always confident,” he said of taking the free throws. “I thought I was going to make both of them, but I only made one. I was always taught to be confident, and when you shoot the ball just know that it’s going in.”
Butler scored 14 points, including the game-tying putback with three seconds left in regulation, while Chris Eatmon also had 14 to lead the Red Raiders, who will face No. 3 Wheatmore in the finals Friday night at 7:30 at Atkins. Murphy also had nine.
David Newcomer scored 15 points while Jarrod Rogers had 11 and Brandon Earnhardt and Daniel Newcomer had 10 apiece to lead the Bulldogs, who will retain their No. 1 seed from the PAC-6 regardless of Friday’s outcome for the state playoffs.
“I thought we played terrible,” said Trinity coach Tim Kelly, who, from his perspective, thought the clock had expired before the foul. “We had opportunities to win it. … But I thought Andrews played well. We just didn’t get it done.
“I’m frustrated, but we’ll go back to the drawing board, look at what we did wrong, look at what we did right. We were on a seven- or eight-game winning streak, and they’ve been playing really well. And we just didn’t play well tonight.”