Wake turns back HPU

Dec. 05, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

John Brown kept High Point University within striking distance on Wednesday night.

He didn’t get enough scoring help in the second half to put the Panthers over the top as they fell to Wake Forest, 71-60, at the Joel Coliseum in the last game of the current contract between the schools.
Brown torched the Demon Deacons for 27 points, primarily on 12 of 22 shooting, as no other Panther scored in double-figures. The output included the first 10 and 18 of the Panthers 31 points in the second half as the rest of the HPU scoring for the period included four from Allan Chaney, two from Derrell Edwards, two from Adam Weary, two from Jairus Sims and three from Dejaun McGaughy.
Chaney wound up with nine points, McGaughy had eight and no one else contributed more than five.
Brown said he was inspired by playing against an ACC school for the first time.
“Just the emotion of it,” Brown said. “I felt like I needed to step it up and I knew my team was counting on me so I had to step it.
Brown’s hot streak included a bucket that gave the Panthers their last lead at 35-34 just 90 seconds into the second half. But, the lack of production from the other Panthers and 18 turnovers finally proved to be too much to overcome.
“We do things to get everybody involved but I tried to play off a hot hand,” HPU coach Scott Cherry said after the Panthers fell to 4-4. “He was playing well and taking advantage of some things. It was one of those games where we didn’t get the balance that we’ve been getting.  We just didn’t capitalize, make some plays, get some stops.”
Wake, on the other hand, got balanced scoring that was led by Chase Fischer, who struck for 15 points on five 3-pointers. Aaron Rountree, who gave the Deacs a lift off the bench, and Tyler Cavanaugh added 11 each while C.J. Harris had 10.
“You always want balance,” Wake coach Jeff Bzdelik said.
HPU trailed by two at 48-46 as late as 10:54 to play before the Deacons took control with a run that gave them a 57-48 lead with eight minutes to go. A layup by Brown cut the margin to 59-54 with five to go and brought a quick timeout from Bzdelik.
“I can’t repeat what I said,” Bzdelik said. “But we changed on the pick and roll because he was getting too much space. We wanted to run someone at him and double him.”
The Deacons tightened their defense on Brown after that and pulled away while holding Brown scoreless the rest of the way.
“They started doubling on me but I was in attack mode and I wanted my teammates to be in attack mode,” Brown said. “I was hoping they would feed off me. They did but Wake made some plays.”