Kivett tourney tees off today
At least six former winners are expected to be in the field when the 37th edition of the Bud Kivett Memorial golf tournament tees off today at Blair Park.
That list does not include Tanner Owen and Justin Clement, the duo who agreed to share the trophy last year in one of the unusual moments in Kivett history. They settled for a tie after remaining deadlocked through four playoff holes with darkness descending on the course.
Those who have filed entries include Bryan Colquitt, Marc Cox, Garland Yates, Danny Southern, Stan Kinney and Chris Casetta.
The absence of Clement, who won outright in 2011, make 2010 winner Colquitt the most recent champion entered in the 36-hole affair, which wraps up Sunday at Oak Hollow.
“We also have a lot of young guys, college and high school players,” Steve High, the city director of golf, said. “So it’s a good combination of the veterans and the new guys.”
As of Friday morning, High had received 130 entries and was expecting a few more to trickle in.
“All tournaments are down a bit so far this year and we’re done a little bit,” High said. “aIt may be a little off because the weather hasn’t been very good for people to come out and play golf so far this spring so they may not be quite as much in the golfing spirit as in some years. But, I’m pleased with the turnout. It’s a good strong number.”
email@example.com | 888-3556