Stormy weather stops HPU women

Sep. 01, 2013 @ 08:37 PM

The High Point University women’s soccer team will have to wait a few days for its first home game of the season.

Less than five minutes into the second half, the Panthers’ nonconference game against Georgia Southern in Vert Stadium was delayed and ultimately cancelled due to lightning and rain for several hours Sunday afternoon.
High Point (0-2) trailed 1-0, after a first-half goal by the Eagles’ Jennifer Wittick, but all stats were wiped clean because the game did not reach the 70th minute. The game will not be resumed.
Instead, the Panthers will next play Friday at home against UNC Greensboro at 7 p.m.


RICHMOND, Va. — The High Point University men’s soccer team fell to UAB 5-1 in the VCU Rams Classic on Sunday afternoon in Richmond, Va. Junior Mamadee Nyepon found the back of the net for HPU in the loss.
“We are nowhere near where we need to be as a team right now,” HPU head coach Dustin Fonder said. “We came into today’s game with a plan and did not execute it. The game was still in the balance when we were down 2-1, but once UAB scored the third goal our resolve was very weak for the rest of the game and they took advantage.”
The Panthers started the game strong, holding possession and earning a corner kick in the fourth minute of play. UAB grabbed momentum away in the seventh minute with a goal from distance to take a 1-0 lead. Patrick Huang took a shot from 25 yards out and tucked it into the lower left corner to put the Blazers ahead.
High Point nearly leveled the score in the 16th minute but a header by freshman Matt Gweh was saved off the line by a UAB defender and a rebound shot by redshirt-sophomore Cameron Foster went just over the crossbar.
The score remained 1-0 until the 38th minute when the Blazers doubled their lead on a goal by Fredy Ruiz. The forward was played in on a through ball by Alex Clay and beat HPU keeper Ryan Massey with a shot to the lower left corner to make the score 2-0.
HPU pulled back within one early in the second half on a goal by Nyepon in the 48th minute. Sophomore Austin Yearwood delivered a cross from the left side to Nyepon who headed the ball into the bottom right corner to make the score 2-1.
The Blazers put the game away midway through the second half, scoring three goals in just six minutes to go ahead 5-1.
High Point continues its season-opening three-game road swing on Friday when the team travels to Columbia, S.C., to face the University of South Carolina. The game is scheduled to kick off at 7 p.m.