IHM dedicates new school

Aug. 11, 2013 @ 07:07 PM

Scores of parents, children and clergy congregated in Immaculate Heart of Mary’s sanctuary to dedicate its new Parish Life and Education Center on Sunday.
The Most Rev. Peter J. Jugis, bishop of Charlotte, presided over the dedication of the new school. Since it was founded in 1947, IHM operated its education center from its facility on Montlieu Avenue. The church moved to Johnson Street about 12 years ago and now the school and church are on the same campus once again. The church has worked for several years to build the school that will open for the 2013-2014 school year. IHM broke ground on the school last spring and finished the facility about a month ago.
Jugis, walked through the school with other clergymen to pray over and bless its gym, kitchen, fellowship hall, media center, administrative offices and classrooms.
The new school will start on Aug. 21 with about 225 students. The $10 million, 77,000 square-foot, LEED-certified facility is built to increase student capacity from 275 to 490 in grades pre-K through eighth.
Parts of the old school were not left behind. The steeple in a courtyard outside the new school, stained glass in the media center and a crucifix outside of the gym all made the move from the Montlieu location.
“Our primary purpose was to put everything back on one campus, but after that, our purpose is growth through outreach,” said Tom Yaudes, chairman of the dedication ceremony.

jhowse@hpe.com|888-3617