County to honor three High Pointers
Guilford County commissioners and prominent High Pointers are expected to gather downtown Tuesday for the official naming ceremonies for three county buildings.
The ceremonies begin at 9:30 a.m. at 325 E. Russell Ave. at the John W. Langford building. The major occupant is the Department of Social Services. Langford was a former High Point attorney and civil rights leader. The refurbished mill and furniture showroom also houses register of deeds and tax and elections offices.
The group then will move to the Department of Public Health building at 501 E. Green Drive at 10 a.m. to recognize the late Dr. Marcus L. Aderholdt Jr., a pediatric physician who also was chief of staff at High Point Memorial Hospital, at the building that bears his name.
The mental health building at 211 S. Centennial St. has been named for retired physician and community leader Otis E. Tillman, who will be recognized at 10:45 a.m.
The county committee broke with suggested rules against naming a building for living residents when it chose Tillman.
A reception for the three families will follow at 11 a.m. in the mental health offices.
There are as many as 70 county buildings and meeting rooms that could qualify for a name. Most of the other county buildings in High Point will keep their traditional names: Emergency Medical Services Base 2 at 201 Montlieu Ave.; the Guilford County Courthouse Building at 505 E. Green Drive and the Guilford County Detention Center Sheriff’s Office, 507 E. Green Drive, are the major ones.
Health: The Department of Public Health building at 1100 E. Wendover Ave., Greensboro, has been named the Ross-Morrow Building to honor former agency directors Dr. G.F. Ross of Randlemen and Dr. Sarah Morrow. The county’s substance abuse center at 5209 W. Wendover Ave., High Point, is called the Wallace C. “Wally” Harrelson Building for the late county public defender who lobbied for years for such a treatment facility.