High Point Cycling Classic kicks off
Residents and members of organizations came out to welcome cyclists and the USA National Championships to the High Point Cycling Classic Thursday afternoon at Mendenhall Transportation Terminal downtown.
The fourth annual High Point Cycling Classic kicked off with a full police escort and a group of area cyclists who led the way for a tractor trailer filled with vintage bicycles.
“We are working to make this the best professional criterium national championships ever,” said Chip Duckett, a cycling enthusiast and organizer of the event. “Downtown High Point will be filled with thousands of fans, food and music throughout the weekend, with a special highlight for kids at a block-wide Kids Zone.”
The races will start and finish at the terminal across from the Showplace furniture showroom building. The 1.3-mile crit course features a combination of high-speed turns and smooth road surfaces.
Spectators also will be able to monitor the races from bleachers and a live broadcast on jumbotron screens.
“I came out to support the riders. Exercise is a very important part of life, and I like to support people who are doing that and traveling long distances to compete,” said Jon Midas who works in High Point. “It’s a four-day event in High Point. If we get more events like this, it would mean more income for the town.”
The race also brings some economic benefits to the city, according to Tim Mabe, president and CEO of the High Point Convention & Visitors Bureau.
“This is a national race that brings High Point national attention,” Mabe said. “They are expecting a few thousand people here, which could mean well over $1 million in economic support and a boost to the economy. All that media attention puts High Point in a very great light.”
firstname.lastname@example.org | 888-3657
Schedule of events
• Vintage bike show in High Point Plaza Hotel Ballroom, 3-8 p.m.
• Contemporary hand-built bike exhibit at Showplace Atrium, 3-8 p.m.
• Art/Bike exhibit at High Point Theatre, 1-5 p.m.
• Art/Bike exhibit at Theater Art Galleries, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. and 7-9 p.m.
• Free movie, “American Flyer,” at High Point Theater, 7:30 p.m.
• Mipso Trio Band performance at Mendenhall Transportation Terminal, 6:30-11 p.m.
• RideUnited 2013 Charity Bike Ride on the course downtown, 8-11 a.m.
• Free children’s movie, “Pee Wee’s Big Adventure” at High Point Theater, 9 a.m.
• Kids bike races with the pros on the course downtown, 11:30 a.m.-noon
• Kid Zone children’s activities downtown, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Art/Bike exhibit at High Point Theater, 1-5 p.m.
• Art/Bike exhibit at Theater Art Gallery, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
• National Masters Races downtown, 12:30-4:30 p.m.
• USAC Women’s Professional Criterium National Championships - 4:50 p.m.
• USAC Men’s Professional Criterium National Championships - 6:40 p.m.
• Sol Fusion performance at Mendenhall Transportation Terminal, 8:30-11 p.m.
• Bike swap meet at Showplace parking lot, 8 a.m.-noon
• Vintage bike show, award-winning bikes, at High Point Plaza Hotel, 8 a.m.-noon
• Contemporary hand-built bike exhibit at Showplace Atrium, 8 a.m.-noon
• Art/Bike exhibit at Theater Art Gallery, 8 a.m.-noon
For more information, check the website http://hpcyclingclassic.com/