11-year-old electrocuted at Triad pool

Jul. 17, 2013 @ 08:56 PM

An 11-year-old girl was electrocuted at a Davidson County pool. Two other girls escaped.
Officials say Lauren Cecil was electrocuted at Brookside Swim Club on Queens Road shortly after 8 p.m. Tuesday. Davidson County EMS and lifeguards performed CPR at the scene, but Cecil died at Lexington Medical Center.
The girls were in the pool when a lifeguard heard a loud pop and saw a power line fall into the grass next to the pool. The power line was carrying 7,200 volts of electricity, according to reports.
“The investigation is being handled by the Davidson County Sheriff’s Department and fire marshal, and we are working in full cooperation and conjunction with them,” said Lexington City Manager Alan Carson. “I don’t know if they have found the cause of what happened. They think it will take a while to piece together what happened.”
According to Carson, when the electrical wire fell, it was 50 feet from the pool and was not in close proximity to the pool or the concrete.
The other two girls got out on the side of the pool. Cecil was electrocuted when she grabbed a metal ladder, according to authorities.
Calls to Brookside Swim Club were unanswered Wednesday.