Officials unable to pinpoint cause of fire

Nov. 13, 2013 @ 09:56 PM


Fire investigators on Wednesday closed the probe into a Tuesday night fire that left a family homeless and several pets dead after officials were unable to determine a cause.
“Investigators were not able to determine the cause or the origin because the house itself was not stable enough to be in,” said High Point Fire Department Capt. Denita Lynch.
Crews spent most of the night Tuesday fighting the house fire at 1403 Wiltshire Street. The call to the residence came in at 5:53 p.m.
Four people were in the home at the time of the fire. They were evacuated by the time fire engines arrived. Red Cross is assisting them.
It took several hours to contain the fire because crews were forced to work from the outside of the house due to severe structural damage.
“They had to go defensive because when they were going into the front door last night, the floor was caving into the basement,” Lynch said on Wednesday.
The fire was contained but was not extinguished until 3 a.m. Wednesday. Crews remained on the scene for several hours to make sure it didn’t rekindle. | 888-3657


Firefighters and emergency personnel spent the majority of Tuesday night fighting a house fire that blocked traffic on E. Lexington Ave., from McGuinn Drive to Carolina Street.
The call came in at 5:53 p.m. and firefighters were dispatched to the 1403 Wiltshire Street address.
“When we arrived there were four occupants already evacuated from the home, three adults and one teenager,” said Capt. Denita Lynch. “There were no injuries.”
While fighting the blaze there was one minor firefighter injury.
“He was treated on the scene but is doing fine,” Lynch said.
Four fire engines were called to contain the blaze and an investigation had not begun Tuesday night. Fire officials do not know how the fire started at this time.
“We are doing a defensive attack so at this time we do not have any firefighters on the inside because of the structural damage,” Lynch said late Tuesday.
There were some pets lost in the fire, but there has not been confirmation yet as to how many.
The Red Cross was called in to assist the family.
As of 8:42 p.m. the fire was still burning but under control. | 888-3657