Police investigate hit and run

Aug. 29, 2013 @ 06:00 PM

Police are looking for the driver who hit a cyclist Wednesday night and fled the scene.
Jesse Williams was riding his bicycle at about 8:45 p.m. on Clish Place, off of Brentwood Street, when he was struck by a vehicle.
“I am in a lot of pain and everything hurts. I have people put my pants on me and my shoes, things that I used to do for myself and can no longer do,” Williams said. “This is excruciating. I have never had a broken bone in my life, and at my age it is going to take a while to heal.”
Officers responded to 516 Manley St., where they met with Williams after the incident.
“I did not want to be by myself, so I made it around the corner to Manley and called from there,” Williams said. “The response was tremendous. They made it there within 3 minutes.”
Williams said he does not remember much about the accident, but he does remember a dark-colored car and seeing the bright headlights.
“I do not know who it was, but all I could see was the headlights because it was coming towards me,” Williams said. “Once I pulled as far as I could to the curb, the car continued coming, so I tried to get off the bike. By then the car had hit the front wheel (of the bike), and the next thing I knew, I was doing a couple of somersaults and was on the ground.”
Williams said when he got up, thinking it was one of those things he could just walk off, the car was gone.
The 47-year-old was taken to High Point Regional UNC Healthcare, where it was determined by medical personnel that he had injuries to his right shoulder and lower back, according to the police report.
Williams has since returned home and said the accident could not have happened at a worse time because he hopes to start a new job soon.
“I have a strained back, fractured elbow and broken clavicle,” Williams said. “What am I going to tell the employers now?”
Williams said he is angry that this has happened.
“There are signs all over that say share the road. I did that, but the road was not being shared at the moment,” Williams said. “I moved over as far as I could.”
Police are still investigating the incident.
cdavis@hpe.com | 888-3657