House fire leaves one dead

Feb. 07, 2013 @ 05:06 PM

 A woman is dead and a man is recovering from minor injuries after a fire destroyed a mobile home in the Pilot community Wednesday night.

The fire was reported around 8:20 p.m. at 160 Wintbrook Road. The fire took firefighters an hour and a half to get under control, according to Lt. Kevin Hartman with the Pilot Fire Department.
“We were actually out there all night. We were there for an additional two to three hours mopping up and then standing by until the fire marshal’s office and the State Bureau of Investigation came back on site this morning to go over the investigation.”
Hartman said the fire had already engulfed the mobile home and its contents when firefighters arrived on the scene.
“The fire was fully involved when we arrived. It was a bad fire, and fire was consuming the whole dwelling when the units arrived,” Hartman said.
Davidson County Fire Marshal Brad Needham said the fire started in the mobile home’s living room from a kerosene heater.
“This was an accidental fire due to heating equipment,” Needham said. “We have had one fatality. The house is a total loss.”
According to Needham’s investigation, the woman was on fire when she came out of the house and the man sustained his injuries from trying to save her.
According to reports, both initially were taken to Thomasville Medical Center, but the woman was airlifted to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center.
Officials weren’t releasing any of the victims names on Thursday. | 888-3657