UPDATED: McCrory reverses course on market funding

Apr. 02, 2013 @ 03:30 PM

UPDATED 3:30 P.M.

Gov. Pat McCrory reversed course Tuesday, deciding that he won’t pursue a significant cut in funding for the High Point Market.
The new Republican governor — who grew up in Jamestown and whose parents rented their house to marketgoers decades ago to earn extra money when McCrory was a youngster — proposed cutting state funds for the High Point Market Authority in half in his original $20.6 billion state budget proposal presented last month. But this week he reconsidered the move and made the decision to preserve the appropriations, said Kim Genardo, the governor’s communications director.
“The governor personally directed the Department of Commerce and Department of Transportation secretaries to restore full funding to the High Point furniture market during a Monday morning cabinet meeting,” she said. “We anticipated there would be local contributions available for the market by the second year, but we’ve since learned that’s not the case. Due to this new information we’re restoring full funding.”
Though the governor and his cabinet took up the matter during their cabinet meeting Monday, the decision wasn’t publicly released until an email was sent to The High Point Enterprise and other media outlets Tuesday morning.
McCrory’s proposal to cut funding for the High Point Market Authority from $1.65 million to $800,000 by the middle of 2014 drew strong opposition from High Point and Piedmont leaders and executives in the home furnishings industry. Forty-two presidents and chief exeuctive officers of major companies in the home furnishings field sent a letter to leaders of the N.C. General Assembly objecting to the proposed cuts. The letter was officially dated Tuesday but reported on by the Enterprise late Monday afternoon.
Market Authority President Tom Conley said that he was “pleasantly surprised” by the governor’s decision to reverse course on the market funding.
“Our focus had shifted to the Legislature. To see the governor respond so quickly was encouraging,” Conley told The High Point Enterprise.
The chairman of the High Point Market Authority praised McCrory for changing his mind and maintaining state funds for the state’s largest single economic event each year and the world’s biggest home furnishings trade show.
“We’re greatly appreciative that the governor and his staff have taken the time to further educate themselves and understand the nature of the funding,” said Chairman Doug Bassett, president of Virginia-based Vaughan-Bassett Furniture Co.
State appropriations for the Market Authority make up about one-third of the organization’s $4.7 million budget. The state money supports transportation services during the spring and fall trade show and marketing of the event.
Conley said market supporters will continue to meet with legislators as they craft a new state budget that is due to be in place by July 1. Market backers are going to the State Legislative Building next Tuesday.
“We’re not going to let up. We’ll keep the pressure on,” Conley said.

pjohnson@hpe.com | 888-3528

 

Gov. Pat McCrory reversed course Tuesday, deciding that he won’t pursue a significant cut in funding for the High Point Market.
The new Republican governor — who grew up in Jamestown and whose parents rented their house to marketgoers decades ago to earn extra money when McCrory was a youngster — proposed cutting state funds for the High Point Market Authority in half in his original $20.6 billion state budget proposal presented last month. But this week he reconsidered the move and made the decision to preserve the appropriations, said Kim Genardo, the governor’s communications director.
“The governor personally directed the Department of Commerce and Department of Transportation secretaries to restore full funding to the High Point furniture market during a Monday morning cabinet meeting,” she said. “We anticipated there would be local contributions available for the market by the second year, but we’ve since learned that’s not the case. Due to this new information we’re restoring full funding.”
Though the governor and his cabinet took up the matter during their cabinet meeting Monday, the decision wasn’t publicly released until an email was sent to The High Point Enterprise and other media outlets Tuesday morning.
McCrory’s proposal to cut funding for the High Point Market Authority from $1.65 million to $800,000 by the middle of 2014 drew strong opposition from High Point and Piedmont leaders and executives in the home furnishings industry. Forty-two presidents and chief exeuctive officers of major companies in the home furnishings field sent a letter to leaders of the N.C. General Assembly objecting to the proposed cuts. The letter was officially dated Tuesday but reported on by the Enterprise late Monday afternoon.
The chairman of the High Point Market Authority praised McCrory for changing his mind and maintaining state funds for the state’s largest single economic event each year and the world’s biggest home furnishings trade show.
“We’re greatly appreciative that the governor and his staff have taken the time to further educate themselves and understand the nature of the funding,” said Chairman Doug Bassett, president of Virginia-based Vaughan-Bassett Furniture Co.

 


Gov. Pat McCrory has reversed course and won't propose cutting funding for the High Point Market, his office announced Tuesday.

The new Republican governor, who proposed cutting state funding for the market in half in his original $20.6 billion state budget proposal presented last month, reconsidered the move and personally made the decision to preserve the appropriations, said Kim Genardo, the governor's communications director.

“The governor personally directed the Department of Commerce and Department of Transportation Secretaries to restore full funding to the High Point Furniture market  during a Monday morning cabinet meeting,”  she said.  “We anticipated there would be local contributions available for the market by the second year, but we’ve since learned that’s not the case.  Due to this new information we’re restoring full funding.”

Though the governor and his cabinet took up the matter during their cabinet meeting Monday morning, the decision wasn't public released until an email was sent to The High Point Enterprise and other media outlets Tuesday morning.

McCrory's proposal to cut funding for the High Point Market Authority from $1.65 million to $800,000 by the middle of 2014 drew strong opposition from High Point and Piedmont leaders and executives in the home furnishings industry. Forty-two presidents and chief exeuctive officers of major companies in the home furnishings field sent a letter to leaders of the N.C. General Assembly, officially dated today but reported on by the Enterprise Monday afternoon.

See further details later today and in Wednesday's Enterprise.