Blust won't run for Congress

Dec. 19, 2013 @ 04:49 PM

State Rep. John Blust, R-Guilford, announced this afternoon that he won’t seek the 6th Congressional District seat next year, instead running for re-election to his N.C. House seat he’s held since the 2000 election.
“With a 4-year-old daughter and a mother with fairly severe dementia, after carefully analyzing the race for a congressional seat, it became clear to me that I could not give my best efforts as a candidate in what will be a very competitive race with several good candidates and also fulfill my family responsibilities at this time,” Blust said.
Blust said he will file in February in the 62nd State House District, a seat that includes parts of northern High Point.
The 6th District seat will be vacant next year because Republican Rep. Howard Coble announced last month that he will retire for health reasons at the age of 82. Coble will serve through the end of next year.