Storm blamed for wrecks, cancellations

Jan. 18, 2013 @ 04:33 PM


There won’t be any more wintry precipitation anytime soon, but temperatures are forecast to take a dive early in the week, according to the National Weather Service.
Skies will remain clear the next several days, with low temperatures in the upper 20s the next couple of nights. A high temperature of 54 degrees is forecast for Sunday, with a high in the mid-40s expected Monday. After that, the low temperature Monday night/Tuesday morning is forecast to be in the upper teens to near 20, with the same thing the following night, before warming back up to the mid-40s on Thursday.


Guilford County: Schools on the traditional calendar will make up the day missed Friday on Tuesday, which had been scheduled as a teacher workday.  Schools operating on alternate calendars, including year-round and extended-year schools, early and middle colleges and academies, may have different makeup days.

Triad: Students in Davidson and Randolph counties were off Friday for a teacher workday. No makeup day will be needed. Friday was a scheduled early dismissal day for Lexington City Schools and Thomasville City Schools also had a teacher workday on Friday.


Thursday night’s storm dropped 2 to 5 inches of snow in High Point and surrounding areas and left dangerous driving conditions in its wake.
Accumulation totals varied by location, but, according to the National Weather Service, 3.1 inches of snow was reported in High Point, while Archdale saw 5 inches.
Davidson County saw smaller amounts.
A spate of wrecks were reported Friday morning on Interstate 85 near High Point, including one on southbound I-85 near N.C. 62.
A N.C. State Highway Patrol trooper responding to a crash involving a pickup truck pulled into the highway median, where his patrol vehicle was struck by a UPS tractor-trailer about 4 a.m., according to Trooper Greg Ingram.
The tractor-trailer turned over upon impact, and the driver as well as the trooper were taken to High Point Regional Hospital. Ingram said neither were thought to have life-threatening injuries. Their identities were unavailable Friday.
The accident shut down the interstate in both directions, and traffic was diverted off the highway through much of the morning. The northbound lanes reopened about 9 a.m., and the southbound lanes were opened about 11 a.m.
Ingram said there were several other wrecks on I-85 in Guilford and Randolph counties early Friday that caused traffic delays. None of the crashes were serious.
In High Point, a total of seven crashes occurred in the city from midnight to 10:30 a.m. Friday.
One of the wrecks — at S. Main Street and E. Green Drive — involved an injury. Five crashes involved no injuries and a sixth was a hit-and-run with no injuries, according to High Point police Lt. Barry Roberts.