Jackson takes stand, denies role in slaying

Jun. 13, 2013 @ 06:43 PM

Keith Lauchon Jackson Jr. took the stand Thursday, dressed in a white collared shirt, a striped tie and slacks, accompanied with shackles and chains, to defend himself in the murder of a 21-year-old store clerk working at the Lucky Mart convenience store on E. Fairfield Drive, who was shot in the head on Oct. 31, 2007.
Jackson waived his right to remain silent on the fourth day of the Lucky Mart shooting trial and testified that he had nothing to do with the murder of Joshua Sweitzer.
“I believe the person who shot Sweitzer should admit to what they did and should go ahead and take their time,” Jackson said. “I told the detectives in the case that they might want to ask DeMarcus Crump about the handgun.”
According to Jackson, on the day in question he was with a friend, Brandon Bailey, and that they at some point met up with Ronnie Covington in Lawndale Apartments on Kivett Drive. Covington was allegedly waiting for DeAndre Moore.
Jackson went on to testify that Covington took him and Bailey to Franklin Street to visit another friend named Allison Rivers.
At some point during the night of Oct. 31, 2007, Jackson said that Covington, Moore, Bailey, Crump and himself were all in the same vehicle, but he went back to Rivers’ house and stayed there the entire night.
“I asked Ronnie if he didn’t mind dropping me off at Allison’s house,” Jackson said. “We went in the house and watched a movie until her little sister went to sleep, had sex, and then we went to sleep.”
When asked about state’s evidence, including a blue hat, a .38 revolver and a letter written in a gang-related code, Jackson said that he did not recognize the gun and could not read the letter.
He did acknowledge that the hat presented was his, but said that he was not near the Lucky Mart the night of the shooting.
“I do recognize the blue hat. I was walking around with the hat in my hand because it was too hot to have it on,” Jackson said. “This is not my letter. It is not even my handwriting. I have never been inside the Lucky Mart store.”
State witness Matthew Savoy, 24, testified Wednesday that Jackson slipped him the letter at the Davidson County Jail directing him to kill accomplice Ronnie Covington.
The letter alleges that Jackson’s house was searched by police due to a statement that was made and that Covington and his cousin, Neco Mason, were “snitching.” It went on to say that Savoy should “crip the fool, straight 187,” and asked Savoy where his loyalty lay.
In his testimony, Jackson admitted to lying to detectives Kevin Ray and Tony English about implicating Quaki Emil Hairston and Christopher Pyles in the murder at the convenience store. Both Hairston and Pyles were cleared later on in the investigation.
“It was a made-up story. When we got caught, I figured that Emil had told them my real name, so I said his name,” Jackson said. “I saw Chris on the news so I said his name. I didn’t even get it right, according to the detectives.”
The jury will hear closing arguments on Monday and is expected to go into deliberations after that. The judge will sentence Jackson after the jury comes to a decision.
He is charged with first-degree murder and is facing life with parole in the death of Sweitzer. He currently is serving a 54-year federal prison sentence for his role in a string of what prosecutors termed gang-related armed robberies of stores in High Point and Davidson County in 2007 and 2008.