Entertainment calendar, High Points This Week (Aug. 8-14- 2013)
ARTS MARKET will be held 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday at Mendenhall Transportation Terminal, E. Commerce Avenue and S. Hamilton St. Vendors will sell handmade items, and food vendors will be at the market. It is sponsored by High Point Artists Network, which is composed of the High Point Theatre, High Point Neal F. Austin Public Library, High Point Area Arts Council and Theatre Arts Galleries.
A PIANO TRIO concert will be given at 4 p.m. Sunday at Heidelberg United Church of Christ, 118 Salem St., Thomasville. Two performers are instructors in the Student Talent Education Program Through Strings program, which uses Suzuki instruction, at Wesley Memorial United Methodist Church. They are Rebekah Carlson (violin), Brian Carter (cello) and Michael Dougherty (piano), who is director of music and the arts at Wesley Memorial. Admission is free; donations will be accepted for future programs in the “Great Music from Heidelberg” series.
THE ARTS SPLASH series of outdoor summer concerts sponsored by High Point Area Arts Council continues 6-7:30 p.m. Sunday with a performance by Jeff Little Trio (music of the Blue Ridge) at Mendenhall Transportation Terminal, E. Commerce Avenue and S. Hamilton Street. Arts Partner, which will provide information on its community services, is Roy B. Culler Jr. Senior Center. Admission is free. Concertgoers may bring lawn chairs, blankets and picnics. No alcoholic beverages are permitted. If there is a threat of rain, call 889-2787 after 4 p.m. Sunday to get the latest update on the event.
“FUN WITH WATER,” a water bucket relay will be held 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday at the High Point Museum’s Historical Park, 1859 E. Lexington Ave. Participants also may try out an old-fashioned thumb waterer and learn how early American settlers watered their plants before the garden hose. Free
HIGH POINT Neal F. Austin Public Library, 901 N. Main St., sponsors the following activities for children, all at the library unless otherwise listed:
• Donna Pruett, “The Balloon Lady,” makes balloon figures, tells stories and performs magic — 11 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. today;
• League of Lions Vietnamese dance group kicks off a week of dance — 6:30 p.m. Monday;
• Suah African Dance Theatre — 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.
JAMESTOWN Public Library, 200 W. Main St., sponsors the following summer reading and enrichment programs:
• “Dig Into Martial Arts” for pre-school-grade five — 10-11 a.m. today;
• “The Hobbitt” movie, for middle school students — 1-2 p.m. Tuesday.
“SLEEPY HOLLOW” selections will be performed in a staged-reading format by members of High Point Community Theatre at 2 p.m. Sunday at The Turntable, Coffee House and Music Venue, 209 W. Main St., Jamestown. Shane Key & Friends will perform music. $3
JACKIE’S PLACE, 607 Washington St., sponsors the following:
• DJ Ronnie Ron — 9:15 p.m. Friday; $10, $5 for members;
• The Legacy Motown & Soul Revue and Sound Express Band — 8:30 p.m. Saturday; $10 in advance (886-5299), $12 at the door;
• Zumba class with Marcie Manley — 7-8 p.m. Wednesday.