Entertainment calendar, High Points This Week (June 13-19, 2013_
THE SHAKESPEARE FESTIVAL’s annual Community Day will be held 2-5 p.m. Saturday at the group’s Spirit Center headquarters, 807 W. Ward Ave. Features of the day include free frozen treats; a petting zoo; tours of the costume and set shops, rehearsal halls and prop storage; live music by Dell Guthrie; a costume play area for children; games and activities; booths representing local artists; behind-the-scenes tours of the facilities. Admission is free. Children younger than 12 must be accompanied by an adult. Parking is available at Antiques by Zaar.
THE SUMMER PROGRAM for children at High Point Neal F. Austin Public Library, 901 N. Main St., features the following events, all free and at the library Storyroom unless otherwise indicated:
• The Almost Amazing Al, magician and kids’ comedian — 11 a.m. today at Oak View Recreation Center, 503 James Road; 6:30 p.m. today at library;
• “Wreck It Ralph,” movie — 2 p.m. Saturday;
• “Criss Cross Mangosauce,” entertainers and Latina moms Irania Patterson and Ana Lucia Diving performing bilingual music and stories to inspire love of the Spanish language and Latin culture — 11 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. Monday;
• Bookworms (age 1 year) story time —10 a.m. Tuesday;
• Time 4 Twos (age 2 years) story time — 11 a.m. Tuesday;
• Family story time — 6:30 p.m. Tuesday;
• Preschool (age 3-5 years) story time — 2 p.m. Wednesday;
• Scrapbooking for kids, for school-age children, who must bring photos (scrapbooks and materials supplied); registration required (883-3666) — 4 p.m. Wednesday.
For information, call 883-3666.
A WALKING tour of the Washington Street area begins at 9 a.m. Saturday at Changing Tides Cultural Center, 613 Washington St. It is led by local historian Glenn Chavis, who specializes in the history of the local black community and its beginnings in the Washington Street area. The tour lasts approximately 90 minutes. Participation is limited to 20 people; reservations are required (885-1859).
JACKIE’S PLACE, 607 Washington St., sponsors the following Father’s Day events:
• D.J. Tony B — Friday, doors at 8 p.m.; $10, $5 for members;
• Father’s Day Special Show featuring Sandra Crenshaw — 9 p.m. Saturday;
• Gospel brunch — 2-5 p.m Sunday; $15.