Coble will not seek re-election

Nov. 07, 2013 @ 01:45 PM

U.S. Rep. Howard Coble, R-6th, has annouced that he will not seek re-election.

Coble, who is the longest-serving current congressman in the state’s delegation, made the annoucement at a press conference held at the Guilford County Republican Party headquarters in Greensboro Thursday afternoon.

Coble told The High Point Enterprise last month that he would announce before the end of this year whether he’d seek a 16th term.
Coble told the Enterprise he would make a decision in time for other Republican candidates to decide whether to enter the 6th District race. The candidate filing period for next year’s elections is in February, with congressional primaries in May.
Some Republican challengers, including Don Webb of High Point, already have announced their intentions to run for the 6th District seat. Webb is a former chairman of the High Point Republican Party and a longtime party activist.
Coble has faced primary challenges in 2012 and 2010, but retained his seat by comfortable margins both in the primaries and in general elections against Democratic challengers.